Thank You, Inspiration!
Meg sat on her chair. She stared at the blank notebook in front of her, her mind void of any ideas. She crossed her legs & rocked back & forth. After a moment she closed her eyes...& let out a huge sigh.
Meg was a budding author who always came up with amazing new ideas for her books. Her friend once described her mind as a room full of the most fascinating things. But the room had been locked for almost a month. And no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't get it to open.
At first, she hadn't given it much thought. But as the deadlines & bills payments came closer, she became frustrated. She closed her eyes again & ransacked her brain. There had to be something, ANYTHING to write.
Ring Ring ! Ring Ring! Her eyes flew open & she jumped up. She glanced at the coffee table. "Oh." She reached over & picked up her phone.
"Hello?"
"Am I talking to Meg? The writer?"
"Yes. Who's this?"
"Inspiration, dear. I'm a bit offended you didn't recognize me. Then again, we've never talked on the phone."
"What? This is a prank call, isn't it? I'm-"
"No, no, no! Don't hang up, Meg. I called to tell you that I'm exhausted, COMPLETELY burned out & need a nice rest. But you keep trying to reach me & I'm fed up of this game of hide-&-seek. So, you're going to take a break from writing for the next 3 weeks. I don't care if you sit at home or go on a holiday. Though I think you should use this opportunity to step out of your house. But you're not going to interrupt my vacation. Am I clear? "
"Hey! If you-" Meg looked at the screen & sighed. "Cut the call at the perfect time."
She went to her call log. "I'd better block this number...Huh?" She scrolled down, then up then down again & stared at her phone in astonishment. The most recent number was her father's.
"How's that possible?" she muttered.
Ring Ring! It was her publisher.
"So, Meg! Any progress?"
"No." Meg groaned.
"Well, then you better get to work. It's been a month since you wrote even a sentence. Your deadline's not far."
"I know." said Meg. Suddenly, an idea flashed through her mind. "Actually, I was wondering..."
"A new story, I hope?"
"Well, I was thinking about going a vacation. I've been really stressed lately," she said nervously. "And maybe I'll find some inspiration too!"
There was a long pause. "Honestly, I don't think you should. Your deadline's tight. But if you're confident that it'll help you, I don't think I can stop you."
"Don't worry! I'll be back with a new book before you know it. Thank you so much! Bye!"
Meg let out a sigh of relief. Then grinned. A short vacation didn't sound bad at all. In fact, she already felt happier. Maybe that WAS a call from inspiration.
"Thank you, Inspiration!" she shouted.
Ring Ring! Ring Ring!
"Hello?"
"You're welcome!"
Do leave your comments below!
Nice short story 😁😁
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteI never knew short story can be this interesting. Btw, nice one!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete