Don Quixote— The Life of a Dreamer

 When I was young,

A wee little lass,

I dreamt of things beyond my grasp


Of floating in space

Of being on stage

Living innocently like I lived back then


I had those huge dreams

(And little ones too)

Which all youngsters my age had


I always thought—

"It'll happen! Why not?

For in fairytales, dreams always come true."


And yes, they did.

For my dreams were small

And my parents made them all come true


But time and tide

Never stopped, went on

As I grew, matured, not that young anymore


And now I think—

"Were those dreams not meant for me?"

Or simply a path I never pursued


And those few dreams,

Which still seem feasible

Are goals, not dreams. I work towards them


Change was inevitable

New dreams replaced old

Now my fantasies, far different from before


I dream of joy.

Of friendships and family

A reflection of the changes in me


But what about the past?

Those naive dreams

The culmination of a rich imagination


Some, I forgot 

Some, I gave up

But some I still cherish, I dream of even now


Disneyland and skydiving;

Travelling and living in books.

Childhood dreams of mine, residing in my heart


For I am still a child—

Who is not?

Don't we grow, striving to fullfill them?


Strive, I will

Even if it takes time

These dreams of mine keep an innocent kid alive


And when they come true

I'll dream some more

Of something more adventurous, more exciting


Ambitions, delusions,

Hopes and daydreams

What else can one do with such overflowing imagination?


For I am a dreamer

And dream, I will

A bit impractical, but so am I, Don Quixote


Don Quixote- An impractical idealist

Comments

Popular Posts

COVID-19: A Blessing In Disguise

Jaanta Raja: Time-Travelling to the Maratha Empire

Food Can't Be Perfect

Snickers vs Dates