Jaanta Raja: Time-Travelling to the Maratha Empire
A few weeks ago, I attended actor Ashok Saraf's felicitation ceremony, where he was felicitated with the Shivshahir Babasaheb Purandare Award. I'm usually not interested in such stuff, but I decided to go because a small part of the play 'Jaanta Raja' would be performed. Honestly, I'm not into plays either, but I figured that it might be interesting.
I don't remember half of the ceremony because I find formalities boring & often too long. I also don't remember what Ashok Saraf said in his acceptance speech, but I clearly remember how the entire theater went quiet when he started speaking. Everybody was listening eagerly to every word he said. He showed humility & commanded respect at the same time. I've never seen such an authoritative yet modest person. I've only watched one of his movies, which I barely remember, but I feel extremely grateful & honored that I got a chance to see such an eminent personality in person.
After a short break, during which I caught a glimpse of the backstage, 'Jaanta Raja' started. I'd only seen one play before this one when I was really young, so I didn't have any expectations or assumptions. I was just sitting quietly when all of a sudden, I was hurled into the 17th century.
All the other people & the outside world faded away. I was all alone, watching events written in my history textbook come alive. The costumes, the jewelry, the set, the music, the expressions & the thundering voices took me thousands of years back, to an era I never even dreamed I would experience.
But the best part was at the last. I was sitting in an aisle seat, waiting for the coronation to take place, when I saw a beam of light & a shadow on the wall to my left. I looked to the left & Shivaji Maharaj & his courtiers walked down the aisle, right past me, to the stage! I truly felt as if I was in the Maratha Empire.
After the play we went on stage & met two acquaintances who had performed in it. Being on stage brought me back to reality. The throne, the palace & the swords were fake; the soldiers, courtiers & villagers were actors; I was in a theater, not in an empire. But the grandeur was still unmatched.
And this was just a small portion of the entire play. I haven't watched the full play yet, but I definitely will & I know it will be mesmerizing. It will be an unforgettable experience, & so was this.
Do leave your comments below!
Fantastic!! So well written!
ReplyDeleteI could actually picturize it!
Congratulations .. well done 👏👏
Thank you!
DeleteWell written ✌️
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteArticulate and concise depiction of your magical experience. Well done.
ReplyDeleteThank you, glad you liked it!
DeleteGood Job👍very well explained.
ReplyDeleteWow...well drafted ! Thanks for coming for the event. Next time do come for full fledged 3hrs Janata Raja show.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'll definitely come when I can.
DeleteI watched this play several years ago.. Actually, truthfully while watching Janta Raja, I literally felt as if I was living in that era. The coronation ceremony is as fresh as ever in my memory.
ReplyDelete