Epiphany
I had a fixed routine during my summer holidays this year: exercise, study, have lunch, draw, go to my tuition, have dinner, watch a K-drama & go to sleep. But as the holidays started coming to an end, my routine started falling apart. At first, I was okay with it, but after a few days I became lazy, going back to spending hours on my phone. I felt as if I had no control over my life.
I've always hated planners for no apparent reason. Maybe it's because I felt that I'm capable of doing my work without any help. Even self-help. But with college looming up ahead, I went ahead & bought one. I wrote down a few things I had to do daily, one of them being meditation. And I did for the first 3 days. But on the 4th day I didn't & was about to make a red mark when I thought, 'What is meditation anyways?'
I looked it up & to meditate means 'to focus one's mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation'. Or in short, doing something that helps you mentally relax.
And then it struck me.
Jamming to my favorite songs is meditation. Focusing all my attention on drawing a realistic flower is meditation. Making a new dish & enjoying it while basking in satisfaction is meditation. Discussing my worries with a close friend or family member is meditation. Even taking a power nap is meditation.
All this time I'd thought that sitting quietly with my eyes closed & focusing on my breathing was the only way to meditate. But it isn't & knowing that is a relief.
Now I know that if I ever need a way to cope with a hard situation, to clear my head or stop my emotions from going berserk, I don't always have to sit quietly. I can dance, I can sing at the top of my voice, I can eat, I can talk.... the list goes on. I have options. So, if Plan A doesn't work, I have Plan B, Plan C & even Plan D.

Agree with you what Meditation is all about!
ReplyDelete