Food Can't Be Perfect

Trends come & go in all fields-- fashion, food, technology, music.... the list goes on. There're tons of new trends every year, out of which some become really popular. They stay for years, even decades, while some don't, but may end up coming back after years. One trend which has blown up in the past few years is eating organic & healthy food.

Organic food is any food item grown without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides or other artificial chemicals. They don't absorb these harmful chemicals, which is good for our health. Healthy foods are basically the same thing. They're believed to promote & maintain good health because they contain vital nutrients or have low sodium or fat content. Eating such foods is definitely good because our health is affected by what we eat. But too much is often bad & food is no exception (though I wish chocolate would be).


First of all, organic food may not really be organic. Research by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration has shown that the residue of pesticides on organic food is below 5%. Just a little less than that of non-organic food. Not what we've been told organic food is, right? It's also expensive because it's limited as compared to non-organic food. And it also has a short shelf life. I get it that we should take care of our health, but what about our wallets? Inflation isn't decreasing yet!

Secondly, I think that eating organic & healthy is no longer a trend-- it's become an obsession. No matter which social media platform you go on, you'll find tons of reels, shorts & posts about organic & healthy food. Whether it's YouTube or Instagram or Twitter, you'll definitely find 'smoothie with 50g of protein', 'nutritious vegetable dosa', 'chia seed pudding' & of course the one & only avocado toast. It's like you're constantly being bombarded because you're not eating organic & healthy.

Frankly, the 'What I Eat In A Day' videos of influencers, especially those who eat only healthy food, really annoy me. It's easy to pretend that you always eat healthy, especially if you're behind a screen. And even if they're not pretense, their lifestyle, health condition, fitness goals & environment are going to be different than a random person watching those videos. What is good for one person isn't always good for another. We are different & unique individuals after all.

And lastly, you can't eat healthy & organic every day for every meal. You can find healthy alternatives for every unhealthy food item in the world, but you can't leave out the OG foods. I mean, imagine a life without chocolate, chips, pizza, popcorn, donuts.... it'd certainly be a miserable life for me. 

It's completely fine to have what you're craving for once in a while without thinking about protein, nutrient, weight & calories. This creates a balance & you feel satisfied at the same time. You also don't feel guilty for not eating something healthy.


I saw someone say this on YouTube: 'It's better to eat non-organic fruits & vegetables than none at all." And I agree. No human is perfect, so how can you expect your food to be perfect?

Comments

  1. Really really thought provoking !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have put across your thoughts very articulately. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. AJ, main concern is how to make sure that the organic food we are buying is really organic or not. Ideally one should be able to grow the food oneself, then it is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that growing our own food would probably be the best solution, but it's not possible for many people. I agree that it's difficult to make sure that the food we buy is organic, but I personally don't think it's necessary. We ate the same food before the trend of eating organic started & it didn't harm us. So I think that we should eat fruits, veggies, etc irrespective of whether they're organic or not. It's better to eat some than none.

      Delete
  4. Great blog AJ! Keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this blog spot and you are absolutely right .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

COVID-19: A Blessing In Disguise

Jaanta Raja: Time-Travelling to the Maratha Empire

Snickers vs Dates

Don Quixote— The Life of a Dreamer